Monday, June 22, 2009

green smoothies


Everyone's talking about green smoothies lately, and I have to admit I've hopped on the bandwagon. Not only do they help me to use up the produce in the fridge before I have to toss it in the compost, but I actually feel better on the days that I drink them.

Yeah, I know. It sounds like propaganda, right? It's just vegetables, fruit, and sometimes water!

Maybe it's the chlorophyll content in the vegetables. After all, a mango-banana smoothie doesn't make me feel the same way... adding some spinach or kale to that combination makes a big difference. Maybe it's the vitamin content, or maybe there's more oxygen in the leafy greens? Maybe it's all in my head?

Either way, it's been getting me to eat more vegetables and that's always a good thing.

Here's a few of my favorite green smoothie combinations:
  • kale, apples (1 or 2, depending on how sweet they are), and a big handful of mint *** #1 FAVORITE ***
  • pineapple, collards, and banana
  • green grapes and celery
  • cucumber, tomato, avocado, and celery (savory smoothies are still good! Think gazpacho)
  • pomegranate-blueberry juice, pineapple, spinach, banana, and blueberries
  • parsley, pineapple, apple
Sometimes I add ice, but usually just 1/2 a cup of water in the bottom of the blender (unless I use juice in the smoothie) is enough.

No comments: